This blog is for documenting and keeping track of any and all wild adventures I may have on this glorious planet.

Tuesday, 8 July 2008

Masaai Mara

Welcome to the Masaai Mara National Reserve. Definitely one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Just think Lion King and all the images will come to mind. Just quickly a couple points and then I will upload some pics and maybe video for you to see for yourself. The Masaai Mara are a tribe that live in Kenya and they have sustained their original culture and and way of life. They live in the Great Rift Valley right next to the national park. The park is famous for the big 5 (which i think consists of elephant, lion, water buffalo, rhino, leopard) plus many many more. A little bit about East Africa: its not that stinky, only in animal areas because of the dung. The earth is in fact red like bricks. The people are very friendly and most speak english even in the rural areas. They LOVE Barack Obama! They ask me about him every chance they get. They're ketchup tastes nothing like ketchup. It gets really really cold!! The tempurature largely depends on the sun so during the day its very hot and at night its almost freezing. ALso a very dry climate. Finally, there is vast expanses of land that just goes on farther than the eye can see. It's a beautiful place as I hope you will see in my pics. I've only been through Kenya (which is a bit expensive in terms of souvenirs and other things) but I have still 10 days or so in Tanzania. I can't wait to see more! One thing you will see by my pics is that a lot of the rural towns have nothing. The shanty towns are extremely poor and it shows. This has already been an eye opening experience. Just look at the pics...

1 comment:

KP said...

where are the pics again?
glad you are having a good time :)